4 Week Course: Visual Story Telling
Photography has always been a two fold process – one deals with the camera and technology, and the other is the art of “visual story telling”. Throughout this four week series of lectures, we will explore how to give your images more depth and meaning, how to add narrative, how to read and compose images, as well as exploring topics such as, semiotics, representation and an introduction to famous photographers and iconic images. The lectures will teach you how to communicate with images using stronger symbolic compositions and creating photographic bodies of work. Please Note: This course is lecture, discussion and project lead, with three classroom based sessions and one online interactive session.
Who Is This Photography Course Suited To?
This photography course is considered level 2 This means it is ideal for anyone who has completed our 1 day or 7 week level 1 photography course. This course will suit photographers who want to start working in photo essays, prepare a photography portfolio, photography panel or are looking to improve their overall understanding of photography theory and understanding images. Please Note: All types of Digital SLR’s and Mirrorless cameras with manual controls are suitable for this course.
This 4 week photography course includes:
- Online access to course E-Notes
- DPS pad & pen
- Photography assignments & review/critique of images
- Tutor support by email throughout the course
On this photography course you will learn:
- Introduction to master photographers
- Introduction to famous iconic images
- Different approaches to photography
- Introduction to semiotics & visual metaphor
- Introduction to reportage & documentary photography
- Visual story telling
- Identifying & creating visual narratives
- Composition techniques – decoding & encoding images
- Ethics & representation in photography
Creating photographic bodies of work
- Curating & editing bodies of work
- This course includes 3 photography projects that will require some time outside class to complete. You may be required to print a small amount of images to complete this course